Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Project 3: Modeling the Spaceship

(I will upload the sketch when I get the chance.)  Here it is.  I created a sketch of a random spaceship and got it approved by my teacher; granted I will probably tweak things along the way.  ;)


I started out by creating a series of curves.


I lofted them.


I closed the ship's main body by lofting curves together.  I also used the lattice to thin out the back end.



I wasn't completely satisfied with the front and back ends of the ship so I experimented and created something I liked better.  I also added wings by creating curves and using the extrude tool.



Because the ship's wings were a bit off, I tried to fix them to look more like each other.  My friend Chris told me that I could cut the object in half and mirror it, so I did.





When I mirrored the main body of the ship it caused the tail and head pieces to not fit anymore.  Because of this, I had to cut those pieces in half as well and sew up the vertices using the merge tool.  This part took a long time.



The front was easier than back though.



I then copied the main hull of the spaceship twice and shrunk the copies to make mini engines.  I cut holes on the sides of the ships, extruded the hole's edges toward the smaller copies hull's, and then used the merge tool to connect all the vertices together.


Next I thought that the ship needed some extra detail to look interesting.  So I added a window and some grooves going up and down the ship (I was thinking of adding tons of mini lights inside the grooves, might look more like circuitry).

 
Finally I added a couple more circuitry grooves on the side of the spaceship.  (I will add the textures last of all).


I ended up not UV mapping the spaceship for time reasons, but it still looks good for what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment