Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Project 3: Modeling the Spider Robot

First things first, I drew a sketch of my spider robot.


Having the design being approved by my teacher Jeff, I started working on it.

I started by using a sphere which I squashed and gave less divisions.  I then used the CV curve tool to make the SR's (Spider Robot) legs.  I extruded the curves to make legs.


I used the extrude tool to make a neck and head.


I added more geometry to the head and tweaked its shape.


I then added a spike to the top of its head, moved the legs apart, and smoothed it.


Next I wanted some holes in the SR's neck.  I first tried to use "Booleans/Difference" tool to cut holes in the neck; it didn't work very well.  So (from a suggestion from my teacher Jeff) I drew hexagon shaped lines into the surface using the "interactive split tool".  I deleted the hexagon shapes and extruded the edges inward;  finally connecting the vertices with the merge tool.  It worked!!!!


I gave the SR some teeth,


gave it some body spikes,


made it's ears look more ax-shaped,


and gave it some eyes!


Here is the final result of my modeling!  I will texture it last!


Hey everyone!  I am back to finish up showing my progress on this project.  It has been awhile, but I am finally through!  When I was UV mapping the spider I made some mistakes the first time so I had to restart.  The second time around it took me over 9 hours to UV map it!  Here's what it looked like.


No comments:

Post a Comment